[MPlayer-dev-eng] Practical outcomes of the ALSA thread

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat May 5 09:22:20 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 04:05:39PM -0600, Sven Gothel wrote:
> On Friday 04 May 2007 at 10:55, Rich Felker wrote:
> > Let's keep flames in the other thread if we can. Here I want to
> > discuss the original question, MPlayer's default/preference.
> >
> > In summary, the pro-ALSA side seems to have the following reasons for
> > wanting ALSA to be default:
>
> How about the behavior, where using an OSS device will block other
> applications to use the same (if it's not a hardware mixer one,
> allowing multiple streams ..).

Not relevant, if OSS is blocked MPlayer will try ALSA, too. Other
applications that support both can do this too.
Or do you mean ALSA apps are blocked when OSS is used? I don't know
since I don't have any sound cards that suck as much that I couldn't
open /dev/dsp at least three times at once.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger