[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Fri May 4 22:39:52 CEST 2007

Hi Thomas Orgis!

 On 2007.05.04 at 22:21:09 +0200, Thomas Orgis wrote next:

> mpg321 is dead (somehow died two years or so after "old" mpg123) and

It doesn't look dead to me, and it's the simplest way to playback an
mp3.
I never liked when mpg123 was replaced by mpg321 in most distribution,
but now there is no reason to remember that old mpg123...

> ogg321 is just a typo.

of course ;)

btw there is even flac123

> Btw, mpg123 will always (for some definition of always) support both
> OSS and ALSA.

Let's stop on this, the point is - libao, which is used in mpg321 and
ogg123 has problems with oss output (on linux, with in-kernel oss
emulation layer from alsa) in any slightly complicated example but
always works with alsa without any setup (as long as your .asoundrc is
fine). The same can be said for most other "simple" audio application,
both that use libao and both that doesn't.

A lot of "slightly complicated examples" are in this thread.

--

Vladimir