[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Thomas Orgis thomas-forum at orgis.org
Fri May 4 23:23:56 CEST 2007

Am Sat, 5 May 2007 00:39:52 +0400
schrieb Vladimir Mosgalin <mosgalin at VM10124.spb.edu>:

> Hi Thomas Orgis!
>
>  On 2007.05.04 at 22:21:09 +0200, Thomas Orgis wrote next:
>
> > mpg321 is dead (somehow died two years or so after "old" mpg123) and
>
> It doesn't look dead to me, and it's the simplest way to playback an
> mp3.

Look at when the last release was made:
2002-03-24: mpg321 0.2.10 released
2007-02-07: mpg123 version 0.65

I even tried to contact the mpg321 guy about the current state of
project but didn't get a response yet.
You have active maintainership for mpg123 and you already spoke to
the maintainer - me;-)

> I never liked when mpg123 was replaced by mpg321 in most distribution,
> but now there is no reason to remember that old mpg123...

It is way more efficient. Same reason why one would want to use mplayer.
I can play dvds / non-hd mpeg4 with mplayer on my old Alpha workstation
but xine is a bit choking at that, although it has dvd menu support
since ages.
I can't play good quality mp3s on a i486 with mpg321, but I can with
mpg123. It may be weird to think about that, but I like the idea of
having some doorstop pc as audio box with low power consumption (and
low noise) instead of throwing it away.
And I just cannot accept that I should play back mp3s on any post-i386
cpu _without_ using the FPU!

Oh, and mpg123 has more features (for example extremely efficient
equalizer, RVA2/ReplayGain).

Well, if you would like more advice on why to switch to mpg123, I guess
we should do it in personal mail;-)

> Let's stop on this, the point is - libao, which is used in mpg321 and
> ogg123 has problems with oss output (on linux, with in-kernel oss
> emulation layer from alsa) in any slightly complicated example but

Well, rest assured that the configure of mpg123 defaults to using alsa
on linux and only oss when desired / alsa not available. And the only
bug we have currently concerning audio device output is
about the alsa spitting out something distorted after doing Ctrl+Z and
fg in terminal... perhaps this has something to do with "default" device vs
"hw"... I'll have to depend on your word on complicated setups since
I don't have them... hm... or is it complicated to have
in the media box one SB Live, one DVB card with audio in and two dxr3
decoder cards with audio output? Well, I admit that I don't try 5.1
surround.

But OK, we have enough said about the current feature state of OSS vs.
ALSA. I want mpg123 to work for the people and it works for the most of
them by
supporting both APIs.
Just like mplayer...

> always works with alsa without any setup (as long as your .asoundrc is
> fine). The same can be said for most other "simple" audio application,

Well, at some time I'll have to create some .asoundrc I guess, when my
setup gets more complicated - I hope I'll continue to get away without
it
until then;-)

Thomas.