[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Thomas Orgis thomas-forum at orgis.org
Fri May 4 22:21:09 CEST 2007

Am Fri, 4 May 2007 21:54:25 +0400
schrieb Vladimir Mosgalin <mosgalin at VM10124.spb.edu>:

> No. Take a very simple application - aplay, or mpg321/ogg321 with alsa
> output, etc, and they magically "just work", no matter how complicated

Since we are on the borders of topic already, I'll bring in some fresh
side-air: Please change the first line to

 No. Take a very simple application - aplay, or mpg123/ogg123 with alsa

mpg321 is dead (somehow died two years or so after "old" mpg123) and
ogg321 is just a typo.
The music goes one-two-three/in the place to be/as it is plain to
see/... not three-two-one/all people are gone/I'm so alone/... ;-)

Btw, mpg123 will always (for some definition of always) support both
OSS and ALSA.
ALSA is the API for linux. OSS is the API for (several) UNIX -- Oh, and
of course mpg123 has code for Sun audio, too.
Hm. Well, and support for NAS, SDL, ESD... for that matter.
You can have it simple or do any custom fun via a sound server.
You can even disable any audio device support and use the all-mighty

mpg123 -s file.mp3 | sound-processor

Heck, you can even do

mpeg-producer | mpg123 -s - | sound-processor

Power with choice. Choose your level of complexity.
That's also Unix for me;-)

Thomas,
mpg123 maintainer.