[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: libdvdnav

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Thu Mar 15 12:08:30 CET 2007

... a few more comments ...

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 07:48:16PM -0400, Erik Lunchpail wrote:

> --- Nico Sabbi <nsabbi at email.it> wrote:
>
> > Ötvös Attila wrote:

> > I still haven't received consensus to the fork by the other
> > developers
>
> Licensing or cross-platform compatibility aside, 1 ported internal
> library is 1 too many IMO when there are many many other programs
> around that are able to use the native code. I do appreciate both
> aforementioned facts, but I for one, am not for including yet another
> forked library; on the contrary, i'm all for removing the forked
> versions we have.

I'm all for submitting patches upstream and reducing the diffs we ship.
Whether we should stop including a few libraries I'm not decided in all
cases, but in general I would prefer to see them go eventually.

Note that this requires upstream maintainers.  For many of our included
libraries upstream maintainers were unresponsive or non-existing..

> IIRC Otvos had submitted a version which included a modified libdvdnav,
> and was thus told to make it work with external libdvdnav, and as the
> circle revolves, there's talk of forking libdvdnav, which one is it?

Unfortunately it seems that libdvdnav is orphaned, thus forking it
becomes more and more sensible if not the only option going forward ..

> We're going on a year roughly by which someone is making a concerted
> effort to add dvdnav functionality to mplayer, and i'm a bit
> discouraged to say the least, that the same song and dance keeps
> playing, and his hard work gets dismissed or ignored.

That's not true.  His patches are large and intrusive and thus hard to
review.  The fact that he disappeared for an extended period of time did
not help either..

Diego