[MPlayer-dev-eng] viafb, fbdev & acceleration

Antonio Nevado anevado at ieec.uned.es
Tue Jun 26 01:06:43 CEST 2007

 Hi all,

I am trying to run mplayer on a via epia cn10000 (CN700) through framebuffer.
I have compiled viaarena's linux-fbdev-kernel-src_2.6.00.03.tgz and I can
insert viafb with accel=1 and fbcon without errors in 2.6.21-5. Then, I can
see movies with the constraints below:

1. With -vo fbdev I see the movie on the left top corner of the screen, at the
movie's resolution and B&W
2. With -fs -vo fbdev I see the movie centered on the screen, at the movie's
resolution, and B&W
3. With -vo fbdev2 I see the movie on the left top corner of the screen, at
the movie's resolution and color
4. With -fs -vo fbdev2 I see the movie centered on the screen, at the movie's
resolution, and color

Besides, it always swallows a lot of cpu, so I think there is no 2D
acceleration at all.

I do not know whether this is a constraint of the mplayer output drivers or if
it is a problem of viafb. In the first case I am interested in contributing
somehow improving these output drivers. I am experienced in C but I am not in
developing drivers, so maybe I can join some developer/s here with the same
interest. Otherwise I would need some support to get a starting point.

Any help will be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Antonio