[MPlayer-dev-eng] uau - svn account removal

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun Feb 25 01:31:07 CET 2007

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 21:33:50 +0200
Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:

> This "do as I say or you're fired" attitude might be justified if you
> were paying me,

Who is talking about firing you? We are talking about
restricting the amount of damage you can do.

MPlayer has a huge code base. You, as the one working on mplayer.c
should be very well aware that it is hard to maintain it as
it is. If even one does not play by the rules and breaks
the tools used for handling this code base, then maintenance
becomes impossible.

> but you're not. You don't pay me, you don't get to
> decide exactly what I should do or how.

No we don't decide for you anything. But neither
can you decide for us what we accept from you.

By joining the project and accepting svn write acces
you also accepted the rules implicitly.[1]
Nobody forced you to this, but you did it anyways.
Please don't try to change the rules in the middle
of the game.

> Of course some level of
> cooperation is required, but the only people calling for account
> suspension are ones who do not actually work on the same code.

If you are talking about Ivan, then yes, but i have seen
a few others complaining who do actually work on the whole
code base.

> I do not claim that the commit was an ideal example or that you would
> have to like it. But it does not justify your reaction.

In Arpis times, people lost their cvs account for a lot
less. Not that this was good practice, but it kept people
aware that there were rules that need to be followed.

			Attila Kinali

[1] Just for reference, there where people who refused to accept
cvs write access because they were not confident enough whether
they could follow the rules or not.

--
Linux ist... wenn man einfache Dinge auch mit einer kryptischen
post-fix Sprache loesen kann