[MPlayer-dev-eng] uau - svn account removal

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Feb 27 11:05:31 CET 2007

Hi

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 11:30:22AM +0200, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> 2007/2/26, Ivan Kalvachev <ikalvachev at gmail.com>:
> >2007/2/25, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>:
> >> Hi

> >access.
> >yes.

> >> i too condition my vote to the above condition, so if its cleaned up
> >> until voting ends my vote is NO otherwise its YES
> >
> >Just to be clear. I am for disabling uau write access.
> >I could condition my vote to the above condition, but I know that he
> >won't comply. I still reserve my right to change my vote if he does
> >the revert.
> >

> I hate to be right.

so do i ...

> The deadline passed.
> What do we do now?

well wait for root to publish the results of the vote and follow the
oppinion of the majority, whatever that may be

independant of the vote the choices are

* closing uaus account
* forgetting about svn policy, loosing half of the developers from whom i
  likely will be one and watching mplayers reviewability and quality of
  commits and patches decline, also keep in mind what would happen if a
  second developer would act like uau just that he disagrees with uau and
  changes the same files

its roots decission to close someones account in the end but its everyone
elses decission if they stay or leave

policy is not there because we had an empty bit of space left to fill with
a stupid text, it has been there to have a fair and reasonable set of rules
which ensures that code and diffs are reviewable to find bugs and malicious
code and that mplayer is a high quality and high stability application
mplayer svn certainly was always very stable while other projects often
had half broken svn/cvs and people where forced to use releases ...

having svn write access is not about coding abilities, inteligence or
knowledge but rather about being able to work together with other developers
and being able to follow a common set of rules, if everyone would act on
his personal set of rules mplayer would have only 1 developer

and its not like uau violated the rules once or twice he refuses to correct
his violations after being asked by a near unanimous majority of developers
to do so

[...]

Observe your enemies, for they first find out your faults. -- Antisthenes