[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] kde screensaver stuff using system()

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 17:14:54 CET 2007

2007/2/7, Nicolas George <nicolas.george at ens.fr>:
> Le nonidi 19 pluviôse, an CCXV, Ivan Kalvachev a écrit:
> > Would somebody explain me (again) why is so hard to call
> > XGetScreenSaver()  and check if *timeout_return is set to 0?
>
> Two reasons:
>
> 1. This function deals with the internal screen saver of the X11 server.
> Some people prefer fancy screen saver that eat their CPU displaying OpenGL
> animations while they are not there to see them.

You mean they are not registering themselfs as screen savers, sniff
the user keyboard and mouse and then try to overlay all other windows?
Well.. it may have been the only way 4 years ago but today each
version of Xorg support screensaver extension.

> 2. A solution that disables the screen saver at the start and restores its
> status at exit is flawed from the beginning: if mplayer crashes, it does not
> restore the screen saver state; if mplayer is left paused for a long time,
> the screen saver stays disabled.

That's indeed good argument, but I guess it is better to extend
current extension instead of creating completely new cruft.

I think reimar is right that sending ScreenSaverEvent to the focused
application in order to prevent the start of screensaver is really
good idea. But I think that it must be implemented in the screensaver
extension, not in window managers.

(details about extension, in the reply to rich:)