[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] kde screensaver stuff using system()

Nicolas George nicolas.george at ens.fr
Wed Feb 7 17:20:10 CET 2007

Le nonidi 19 pluviôse, an CCXV, Ivan Kalvachev a écrit :
> You mean they are not registering themselfs as screen savers, sniff
> the user keyboard and mouse and then try to overlay all other windows?
> Well.. it may have been the only way 4 years ago but today each
> version of Xorg support screensaver extension.

Maybe they do, and I underestimated the level of sophistication of the
system. But if it was so, why the problem with KDE?

> I think reimar is right that sending ScreenSaverEvent to the focused
> application in order to prevent the start of screensaver is really
> good idea. But I think that it must be implemented in the screensaver
> extension, not in window managers.

In principle, having a specific protocol is obviously the good solution
(although having something to do with the focused window seems wrong to me).

The problem is that it is not going to happen anytime soon. You can try to
write to desktop-related mailing lists to raise the issue; I tried with a
Freedesktop mailing-list and failed.