[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] kde screensaver stuff using system()

Nicolas George nicolas.george at ens.fr
Wed Feb 7 15:15:58 CET 2007

Le nonidi 19 pluviôse, an CCXV, Ivan Kalvachev a écrit :
> Would somebody explain me (again) why is so hard to call
> XGetScreenSaver()  and check if *timeout_return is set to 0?

Two reasons:

1. This function deals with the internal screen saver of the X11 server.
Some people prefer fancy screen saver that eat their CPU displaying OpenGL
animations while they are not there to see them.

2. A solution that disables the screen saver at the start and restores its
status at exit is flawed from the beginning: if mplayer crashes, it does not
restore the screen saver state; if mplayer is left paused for a long time,
the screen saver stays disabled.