[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Apr 28 23:45:52 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 11:29:23PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 10:28:17PM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> > On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 19:12:14 +0200
> > Adrian Bunk <bunk at stusta.de> wrote:
> >
> > > This doesn't match my experiences.
> >
> > Then you are an exception.
>
> just to add my 2 cents ...
> i also had much more problems with ALSA in the past than OSS, that is just
> personal experience and may not reflect the current state of ALSA/OSS

Yes, I think the main difference is that our experience is mostly based
on the situation 6 to 18 months ago, when ALSA was just horribly broken
in many, many cases.
Currently IMO none has a clear advantage, ALSA having problems on older
systems (due to the bugs not yet fixed there) and a library dependency
99% of which is useless for most MPlayer users. OSS IIRC still tends to
have problems with multichannel (and yes, Rich I know that's not the
fault of the OSS API, I prefer it too ;-), but that doesn't help those
who actually have to use the broken implementations).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger