[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] rc2

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Mon Apr 9 02:40:50 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 00:42 +0200, Roberto Togni wrote:
> - --enable-debug is broken

Would need changing CONFIG_EBP_AVAILABLE to false in configure (the
problem is that --enable-debug turns off -fomit-frame-pointer and after
that ebp is reserved; the asm in FFmpeg which breaks should be under
#ifdef CONFIG_EBP_AVAILABLE now).

> - stack alignment in lavc (win only? can it happen with mplayer?)

gcc versions older than 4 ignored alignment attributes of stack
variables. If you use gcc 4+ then this shouldn't be an issue for
MPlayer. FFmpeg has another issue in that its library code might get
called by code from another compiler that doesn't keep the stack itself
aligned (in practice most likely to happen on Windows), but this
shouldn't concern MPlayer unless you somehow mix compilers during the
build.

In short: if you compile with gcc 4+ then there should be no problems.
gcc versions older than 4 may have problems (but probably not more than
they did with the previous MPlayer version, probably mainly slowdown).

> - i remember also something about ffmpeg and amd64, is it related to
> mplayer?

As Reimar already said only --enable-shared in FFmpeg is broken, doesn't
concern MPlayer.

> Please confirm/deny these bugs and extend the list.

DTS downmixing to stereo is broken after the FFmpeg DTS decoder changes.
-channels 2 has no effect. I think fixing this properly requires changes
in FFmpeg (the current decoder in FFmpeg has some downmixing logic but
no way for the caller to trigger it that I see - also several
FIXMEs...).