[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] rc2

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Apr 9 05:32:52 CEST 2007

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 09:52:40AM +0800, Zuxy Meng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2007/4/9, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx>:
> >On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 12:23:09AM +0000, Arpi wrote:
> >> there was 2 ideas to solve this, one is using some 3rd-party memory
> >library
> >> when compiling with mingw, the other is changing all the code (mostly in
> >> libavcodec) which needs alignment to do the alignment for itself, like:
> >
> >One idea I've thought about that we should consider is making a libc
> >replacement for use on windows, which is actually C99-compliant and
> >has proper UTF-8 and sockets support. I'd actually be interested in
> >seeing the libc code I wrote be reused for this purpose - I don't have
> >the time or testing resources to write it myself but I'd be happy to
> >discuss with someone else working on it. Such a project could remain
> >at a 'wrapper' stage, just replacing the broken parts of MS's
> >implementation, or it could be aimed at providing a complete and free
> >libc on windows.
>
> There's something called libgw32c:
> gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/libgw32c.htm

Interesting, I hadn't seen this. However as far as I can tell, it
doesn't solve the other main problems which are sockets
(incompatibility with POSIX file descriptor API requiring
special-casing for windows code) and lack of UTF-8 support. I don't
know if it solves the memory alignment problem or not.

Rich