[MPlayer-dev-eng] [Q] How to build a universal binary for the Mac OS X?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Sep 25 18:01:37 CEST 2006

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 02:23:05PM +0200, Dario Roccati wrote:

> On 25 Sep 2006, at 08:27 , Rich Felker wrote:
> >>
> >>While I was building the mplayer - actually mencoder is my main
> >>interest -
> >>I found out that I needed a universal binary version. Can anyone
> >>tell me
> >>how to build it?
> >
> >There's no support for "universal binary" in the build system.
> >Presumably you can build twice, once for x86 and once for ppc, then
> >combine them with some external tools... but why you would want to do
>
> Given the way mplayer is built, currently there's no other way than
> build the two versions and then merge them with "lipo(1)".

And this is the way it will remain.

> >Also this question belongs on the users list, not the development
> >list.
>
> The idea of producing an universal binary for MacOS X sounds like a
> development question to me. A development question which does not
> even have an answer.

IT ABSOLUTELY IS NOT! If you're asking how to do something that's FOR
YOUR SAKE, it's a user question. Period. It doesn't matter if that
something involves the MPlayer code. Development list is for
discussion among people working on development of MPlayer, either
current developers or people interested in addressing things on the
TODO list or that are obviously wanted. Hacks to bloat the build
system to make stupid apple users happy are not wanted.

Rich