[MPlayer-dev-eng] [Q] How to build a universal binary for the Mac OS X?

Dario Roccati roccati at pobox.com
Mon Sep 25 14:23:05 CEST 2006

On 25 Sep 2006, at 08:27 , Rich Felker wrote:

>> While I was building the mplayer - actually mencoder is my main
>> interest -
>> I found out that I needed a universal binary version. Can anyone
>> tell me
>> how to build it?
>
> There's no support for "universal binary" in the build system.
> Presumably you can build twice, once for x86 and once for ppc, then
> combine them with some external tools... but why you would want to do

Given the way mplayer is built, currently there's no other way than
build the two versions and then merge them with "lipo(1)".

> this is beyond me. Just building the version for whatever cpu you use
> should work fine.

Maybe the plan is to include a pre-built mencoder in some kind of end-
user product: weird as it may sound, there's still a large amount of
people not willing/interested in build/compiling/whatever the
software...

> Also this question belongs on the users list, not the development
> list.

The idea of producing an universal binary for MacOS X sounds like a
development question to me. A development question which does not
even have an answer.