[MPlayer-dev-eng] [Q] How to build a universal binary for the Mac OS X?

Chris Roccati roccati at pobox.com
Mon Sep 25 23:03:29 CEST 2006

On 25 Sep 2006, at 18:01 , Rich Felker wrote:
> IT ABSOLUTELY IS NOT! If you're asking how to do something that's FOR
> YOUR SAKE, it's a user question. Period. It doesn't matter if that

It's not. For example building for intel macs using powerpc systems
(currently non working) falls under the category of improving the
mplayer build system to provide a more consistent cross-compiling
environment.

> something involves the MPlayer code. Development list is for
> discussion among people working on development of MPlayer, either
> current developers or people interested in addressing things on the
> TODO list or that are obviously wanted.

So, you're basically declaring yourself the final judge of the things
that are "obviously wanted", as you dismissed the building of MacOS
universal binaries completely useless without waiting for a second
opinion.

> Hacks to bloat the build system to make stupid apple users happy
> are not wanted.

Is this the official position of the MPlayer development team?
Is providing a MacOS X universal binary "making stupid apple users
happy"?

I don't really see how adding a few lines to a 8445 lines script (to
support a relatively widespread operating system) can be called
bloat, expecially considering that in the source code you can even
find workarounds for the far more marginal AmigaOS4 and MorphOS.

As a sidenote, the currently available "official" MacOS binary *IS*
an universal binary: it would be interesting for the MacOS developers
to know how it was built.