[MPlayer-dev-eng] liba52 reorganization

Alex Izvorski aizvorski at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 01:26:05 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 23:16 +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Direct your gratitude towards Dominik Mierzejewski and Emanuele
> Giaquinta.

Thanks guys!

Dominik and Emanuele, I'm very interested in your feedback on my patch
esp. as you've worked on liba52 in mplayer.

> What makes me wonder is the following: Since MPlayer contains liba52
> plus lots of patches, why not simply try to split our local diff into
> manageable pieces and feed them upstream bit by bit?

That is essentially what I'm aiming at.  However, the I think the local
diff needs to be reorganized too, at a minimum by moving optimized
versions into separate files, one per (similar to libmpeg2, actually).
The rest of what I've done is putting function pointers in a52_state
instead of making them global, avoiding the duplication (triplication)
of a52_downmix, and consistent naming.

> Has there been any development on liba52 since 0.7.4 was released?

Yes, sort of.  There is an alpha (beta?) integer-arithmetic version in
svn.  I'm not sure it is fully functional.  Not much recently, I guess.
I wrote a CRC-checking patch based on some older (libac3) code, that
should be merged soon.  I've also some ideas about a new API
(backwards-compatible, of course ;)

--Alex