[MPlayer-dev-eng] Please, tell me if my program is illegal.

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.co.uk
Wed Oct 18 15:48:13 CEST 2006

xarion wrote:
> Thanks for your answer. I have another question. Can I distribute my program for free? Can I place my program in internet?

Just read the GPL license and comply with it.
Generally it means:
1) Include a copy of the GPL license with your distribution.
2) Include all source code of your distribution accessible to anyone
using your distribution.

If you comply with the GPL license, you are then not breaking any
licensing laws from the perspective of the mplayer developers.
Note that some bits of the main mplayer might not be 100% legal in your
country, due to patent issues etc.

Ideally, tell the main mplayer developers about your changes, and they
might include them in mplayer, so then you won't have to keep patching
mplayer each time you do a release.

Kind Regards

James