[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: MPlayer-dev-eng Digest, Vol 39, Issue 33

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Tue Mar 14 02:02:11 CET 2006

On Monday, 13 March 2006 at 21:27, Trent Piepho wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 00:32:54 +0000
> > xyzzy at speakeasy.net wrote:
> >
> > > Join the club of people who tried to contribute to mplayer and were attacked
> > > for it.  Rich simply hates everyone and everything.  Don't bother trying to
> > > reason with them, they don't care.  No matter what you say or do they will
> > > just flame you.
> >
> > Let me ask you one thing, what did you contribute and were attacked?
> > I cannot find your email adress in my archives.
>
> Among other things, I tried to contribute an improvement for the yuv4mpeg
> output device, as it currently creates a nearly worthless header.  But it's
> not just me, there are many people who feel this way.
>
> > if we see something wrong, we will critisize it. If you
> > can't take that and need some flowers with your mails,
> > then you are definitly not fit for OSS development.
>
> Why was it necessary for you to say that?

Because you're behaving like an offended princess. Moreso if you think that
statement was insulting.

> > His employer? AFAIK it's some "leet gr0up" of windoze codec d00dz who
> > like to keep their stuff proprietary, not a business.
>
> Why was it necessary for Rich to say this?
>
> > So indeed, it doesn't look like a business. More like a slightly misguided
> > group of boffins.
>
> Why did Dominik need to say that?

Because I know some from my relations with some scientists how projects
like that are run. Why do you say my remark was insulting?
I, for one, do not, as you say, relish in insulting others. I rarely intend
to insult anyone. I do, however, have little patience for ignorance and the
inability to support your claims with technical arguments.

> Clearly, it's not just Rich who appears to relish in insulting outsiders.  Go
> look outside this list, mplayer has quite the reputation, and it isn't one of
> civility and openness.

Clearly, you need to develop thicker skin, if you're so easily offended.
Yes, some of the developers have a 'cut the crap, I know better' attitude
because, more often then not, they do and I can sympathize with their position.

Best regards,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://rpm.greysector.net/mplayer/
There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times and oppression