[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: MPlayer-dev-eng Digest, Vol 39, Issue 33

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Mon Mar 13 21:27:36 CET 2006

> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 00:32:54 +0000
> xyzzy at speakeasy.net wrote:
>
> > Join the club of people who tried to contribute to mplayer and were attacked
> > for it.  Rich simply hates everyone and everything.  Don't bother trying to
> > reason with them, they don't care.  No matter what you say or do they will
> > just flame you.
>
> Let me ask you one thing, what did you contribute and were attacked?
> I cannot find your email adress in my archives.

Among other things, I tried to contribute an improvement for the yuv4mpeg
output device, as it currently creates a nearly worthless header.  But it's
not just me, there are many people who feel this way.

> if we see something wrong, we will critisize it. If you
> can't take that and need some flowers with your mails,
> then you are definitly not fit for OSS development.

Why was it necessary for you to say that?

> His employer? AFAIK it's some "leet gr0up" of windoze codec d00dz who
> like to keep their stuff proprietary, not a business.

Why was it necessary for Rich to say this?

> So indeed, it doesn't look like a business. More like a slightly misguided
> group of boffins.

Why did Dominik need to say that?

Clearly, it's not just Rich who appears to relish in insulting outsiders.  Go
look outside this list, mplayer has quite the reputation, and it isn't one of
civility and openness.