[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer package for Debian

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Tue Jan 17 11:34:54 CET 2006

Hi,

On Tuesday, 17 January 2006 at 10:06, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 09:33:04PM +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > On Monday, 16 January 2006 at 03:45, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > [...]
> > > BTW, it's time to evaluate Christian Marillat's packages.  He just
> > > released a new CVS snapshot that features almost all our suggestions.  I
> > > only had a quick glance now, but they are much improved.  They even
> > > feature a separately packaged skin
> >
> > Yes, they do and yes, they are much improved. However...
> >
> > 1.I still don't like the idea of building -i586 packages which won't run
> >   on a Pentium CPU
>
> What do they require?  A Pentium MMX?  This is not a problem, there are
> hardly any movies at all that a Pentium without MMX can play.

They're ./configure'd with --disable-sse2 --disable-mmx2, so I assume they
end up using SSE, MMX and 3DNow(Ex), depending on the buildhost.

Similarly, SSE is not disabled in -k6 package, either.

> > 2.MPlayer version string (mplayer -v) is still not modified appropriately
>
> This would be nice, but it's not changed in Andrea's packages either.

I know. I pointed it out, too.

> > 3.I still don't like the patch below
> >
> > +-#define MSGTR_CompiledWithRuntimeDetection "Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!\nTo get best performance, recompile MPlayer with --disable-runtime-cpudetection.\n"
> > ++#define MSGTR_CompiledWithRuntimeDetection "Compiled for Debian\n"
>
> This is minor.  In any case, it is now unnecessary, I have changed the
> message in CVS.

Which I hope is more acceptable to Christian now.

> > 4.Many potentially interesting patches have never been submitted to us,
> >   i.e. 05_heap_overflow.dpatch and others
>
> This patch is taken from our advisory and is of course already in CVS.
> The patch is present in the package, but not applied.
>
> Christian promised to submit his patches to me, so please don't bother
> him with this issue.

OK.

[...]
> You're drawing conclusions too early.  Right now we have two different
> packages, from Andrea Menucci and Christian Marillat.  Both have
> problems, but Christian's packages have really come a long way.

> Don't forget that Christian addressed most of our criticisms already.
> Right now his packages are superior to Andrea's.

I agree.

Regards,
R.