[MPlayer-dev-eng] Slackware package (tgz, like deb/rpm) support

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Nov 12 04:18:52 CET 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 09:36:06PM -0200, Herbert Alexander Faleiros wrote:
> > * don't disable mga/xmga
>
> I disabled it because Slackware appears to not use it.

No dist includes it because it' spart of mplayer. You have to install
it manually if you want it. But users may want it, and it does no harm
(no added dependencies, tiny code size) to include it.

> >   It would be best to use freetype and - for example - the Nimbus
> >   Sans Type1 font from ghostscript (it's GPL'd)
>
> I used (in this new version of build script) TOOLS/subfont-c to render the
> Type 1 Ghostscript Nimbus Sans (see source code).

Evil. You should build mplayer to use freetype fonts natively and not
include bitmap fonts. Bitmap fonts do not scale with the movie and
thus look crappy either with lowres movies or with hires movies. They
can't look right with both.

Rich