[MPlayer-dev-eng] Slackware package (tgz, like deb/rpm) support

Herbert Alexander Faleiros herbert at faleiros.eti.br
Sat Nov 12 00:36:06 CET 2005

On Wednesday 09 November 2005 23:05, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
[cut]
> > Please read http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/tech/binary-packaging.txt
> > and make sure your packaging complies with these guidelines.

Ok, done.

Sugestions included: version.h (added Slackware), FHS standards (file
locations), OSD/subtitle from Ghostscript and more (see the source code).

PS - The most suggestions are already included before it.

[cut]
> * external ffmpeg is a big no-no, we require only static
>   libav{codec,format,util} linking and it must be a matching
>   CVS snapshot or the one included with the release

The Slackbuild now use ffmpeg copy from CVS (and sync it too).

The faad2, liba52 use mplayer own copy, none are external.

[cut]
> * don't disable mga/xmga

I disabled it because Slackware appears to not use it.

From mplayer command line with mga included:

open: No such device
vo_mga: Couldn't open /dev/mga_vid

Anyway, I removed it from options script.

[cut]
> * bitmap fonts - isn't freetype always available on Slackware?

Yes.

>   It would be best to use freetype and - for example - the Nimbus
>   Sans Type1 font from ghostscript (it's GPL'd)

I used (in this new version of build script) TOOLS/subfont-c to render the
Type 1 Ghostscript Nimbus Sans (see source code).

> * default skin - why did you change it to Abyss? It should be Blue

OK, changed to Blue...

> Do you intend to provide binary packages at all?
> If so, I might have a few more comments.

No, only the build scripts.

I also made default the detection of the newest stable version under
mplayer.options and many bugs are fixed (and some few cosmetic changes).

If the build script will be included in the source code of mplayer there are
also to be changed some variables (VERSION detection, SRC) and make the
SlackBuild uses the code which it is now part (do not get it again from
internet).

See all the changes at:

http://www.faleiros.eti.br/SlackBuild/mplayer/mplayer.tar.bz2

I will update mplayer-codecs soon.

Please, test the build script (If someone here use Slackware).

Thanks for your comments (Dominik and others), new comments and suggestions
are always welcome.

Herbert.