[MPlayer-dev-eng] indentation, cosmetics etc...

Ivan Kalvachev ivan at cacad.com
Sun May 8 12:34:48 CEST 2005

Reimar Döffinger said:
> Hi,
> On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 09:19:31AM +0100, Ivor Hewitt wrote:
>> >
>> > I personnally would prefer it if you didn't change the indentation of
>> > these two lines...
>> >
>> But thats crazy. The lines are now inside a conditional block, they 'should'
>> be indented.
>
> Not the same discussion within two days :-(... Please read this thread -
> in case you then have any new arguments, I'd be happy to hear them. But
> I doubt it, this was discussed so often already
> http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-cvslog/2005-May/021680.html

Oh, scrap it.
I'm starting to getting pissed off by this no cosmetic rule.

It is basically used to backtrack who broke the code, and have zero
value in tracing a bug. It have some value only if the bug is newly
introduces, that is not always the case.
The bugs are more easily traced in clearly indented code than in
current mess.

Of course the great programer arpi didn't need indentation,
but he is not here anymore. Nor the rest of us are such
great programers like him.
(Michael is also quit catchy about indentetion in ffmpeg)

I personally feel like forcing another rule.
Lets find the command set of indent command that produeses
code most readable for all and indent all mplayer code.
(and add -b to cvs diff)

Commiting cosmetics won't be possible as indent would remove it:)

Wish You Best
  Ivan Kalvachev
 iive

P.S.

Ivor, I will review the patch after a while.
But I would be happy if at least ffmpeg part is
not XXMC dependet, please make all checks
at runtime.
And one another minnor issue.. Could you use
SVLC as in "slice vlc".
It could be possible to have an MB level vlc.