[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: New remove-logo filter

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Sat Feb 26 12:41:35 CET 2005

Hi,

Michael Niedermayer wrote ( On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 12:13:21PM +0100 ):
> > IMHO png alone is not acceptable.
> > As long as there is no common image loading facility provided by mplayer it
> > is best to use simple formats like ppm/pgm or tga.
>
> why not use libavcodec/format for image loading? it supports
> png,ppm,pgm,pam,pbm,jpg,gif,raw, probably some obscure ones i forgot and
> practically every video codec missused as image coder too
>
> btw, see vhook/watermark.c for some well commented code which uses lav* for
> image loading (its a little complex as it needs demuxer+decoder init, someone
> should add some nicer and simpler interface for image loading ...)

Sounds good to me in general.
Tho this would demand for a dependency on libav*.
Also there are lots of other things that would demand for it.
But esscpecially with libavformat we would have lot of duplicate functionality
afaik. So there are some problems to be solved before this can happen.

Ok, one could add an interface for image loading to mplayer and implement
libav* support and a fallback to a simple format. But this would still suck as i
think you would like to have the image loading interface for ffmpeg too.

So best would be to merge the functionality differences there are beetween
libavformat so it is all in one place...

I hope you get what i mean. Sorry if i expressed it unclearly.

  Alex (beastd)