[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: New remove-logo filter

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Feb 26 12:13:21 CET 2005

Hi

On Saturday 26 February 2005 06:48, Alexander Strasser wrote:
> Trent Piepho wrote ( On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 06:39:32PM -0800 ):
> > On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > > ppm for color + pgm for alpha. And yes, it is possible to create this
> > > with gimp (or in the worst case with tifftopnm), the other way round
> >
> > Automatically with the gimp?  My gimp doesn't have that option.  I guess
> > you have to extract the alpha somehow and save it separately, I'm not a
> > gimp expert.
> >
> > I know as a user I'd rather deal with one compressed png image for each
> > bug than multiple different format uncompressed images.  Keep in mind,
> > ATSC is up to 1920x1080 resolution.  It seems that with ppm+pgm files,
> > you're only making the code a little simpler if at all, but have
> > something that's less useful to use.
>
> IMHO png alone is not acceptable.
> As long as there is no common image loading facility provided by mplayer it
> is best to use simple formats like ppm/pgm or tga.

why not use libavcodec/format for image loading? it supports
png,ppm,pgm,pam,pbm,jpg,gif,raw, probably some obscure ones i forgot and
practically every video codec missused as image coder too

btw, see vhook/watermark.c for some well commented code which uses lav* for
image loading (its a little complex as it needs demuxer+decoder init, someone
should add some nicer and simpler interface for image loading ...)

[...]
--
Michael

"nothing is evil in the beginning. Even Sauron was not so." -- Elrond