[MPlayer-dev-eng] 3 pass encoding syntax poll

Romain Dolbeau dolbeau at caps-entreprise.com
Sun Feb 6 10:21:29 CET 2005

Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> the actual bitstream encoding could be skipped in all passes except the last
> huffyuv does this currently, but mpeg* should do it too
>
> one posibility would be to avoid using numbers, and instead use
> 'first'/'mid'/'last' or F/N/L, or we just use 1[,3...],2 and make mencoder
> print a readable error message if the user uses a nonsensical sequence of
> pass values

I strongly disagree ; the advantage of multipass encoding is that you can
refine an encoding to the point of stability, or use whatever is available
by the time you need it done. I'm probably not the only one to launch
five or six pass and use the third or fourth because it's already good
enough and there's no point waiting any more.

--
Romain Dolbeau
<romain at dolbeau.org>