[MPlayer-dev-eng] 3 pass encoding syntax poll

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Feb 6 00:56:24 CET 2005

Hi

On Saturday 05 February 2005 20:15, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Loren Merritt writes:
> > * Always perform N-pass encoding. (It is, after all, identical to 2-pass
> >    if you run only one Nth pass.)
>
> Is there anything at all that speaks against this solution?  Sounds
> completely fool-proof to me..

the actual bitstream encoding could be skipped in all passes except the last
huffyuv does this currently, but mpeg* should do it too

one posibility would be to avoid using numbers, and instead use
'first'/'mid'/'last' or F/N/L, or we just use 1[,3...],2 and make mencoder
print a readable error message if the user uses a nonsensical sequence of
pass values

[...]
--
Michael

"nothing is evil in the beginning. Even Sauron was not so." -- Elrond