[MPlayer-dev-eng] [SURVEY] change mencoder's default ofilename extension?

Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet reynaldo at opendot.cl
Wed Dec 14 19:59:00 CET 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 12:35:45PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet wrote:

> >>I don't see why it can't - or, rather, why it can't easily be made
> >>to. Could you enlighten me?
> >
> >Sure i can, leave out -o and use whatever muxer you like, see what
> >the outpput filename is after that. Fact is, mencoder CANT guess
> >properly because for the various muxer combinations he has just one
> >answer: test.avi
> >
> >I know you knew that.
> >
> >Could someone implement some logic on mencoder to use an apropiate
> >default filename extension for the muxer been used?
> >
> >sure.
>
> Okay. I misinterpreted you, because I thought that this was obvious from
> zero - since we're talking about changing behaviour anyway, I was

yes

> proposing writing code specifically to do that, much as code has been
> written to check extensions and issue a warning in the case of a few
> mismatches.
>
> >Did someone?
> >
> >no.
> >
> >Will someone?
> >
> >hard to know.
>
> I just may give it a shot, although from what I can see the odds of such
> a patch being accepted (-> "I could commit it without immediate reversal
> and metric assloads of cola") are not good.

you will need more that a few lines to make it properly, and other
devs had already stated being against such a change, sure you can
try, in the meantime lets just end this thread with a solution.

> >=>
> >
> >"Mencoder in its _current_ state cant properly guess* output file
> >extension"
>
> The thing is that, since MEncoder in its current state can't issue a
> warning when the extension doesn't match, you could just as well have
> said much the same thing about Oded's proposed change; I don't see how
> there's any point to making that sort of comment, since obviously a
> change is what's being suggested in the first place.

If you read carefully my previous patch attempts you will discover
that i did found out later that the solution Oded  proposed wasnt
a complete fix, thats why i ended up mixing his solution with the
force -0 one.

> (Random question: why the asterisk after "guess" in both occurrences of
> that sentence?)

just a mark to show that 'guess' probably isnt the right word there.

> >>Acknowledged. I'll get to that as soon as I have the time when I'm
> >>sure I'm not going to mess it up from subliminal tiredness.
> >
> >Thanks, if youre going to do that, please grab and apply my patch and
> > post the full one ;) I guess we have some time.
>
> Will do - probably this afternoon, since I just woke up and haven't
> eaten yet.

thanks.

Best regards

    Reynaldo