[MPlayer-dev-eng] [SURVEY] change mencoder's default ofilename extension?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Dec 14 22:38:24 CET 2005

Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 12:35:45PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet wrote:

>>> Will someone?
>>>
>>> hard to know.
>>
>> I just may give it a shot, although from what I can see the odds of
>> such a patch being accepted (-> "I could commit it without
>> immediate reversal and metric assloads of cola") are not good.
>
> you will need more that a few lines to make it properly, and other
> devs had already stated being against such a change, sure you can
> try, in the meantime lets just end this thread with a solution.

I'm not sure it'd need many more lines than the existing patch, actually
- but that can wait till I've actually tried to write it. In the
meantime, see below.

>>> =>
>>>
>>> "Mencoder in its _current_ state cant properly guess* output file
>>>  extension"
>>
>> The thing is that, since MEncoder in its current state can't issue
>> a warning when the extension doesn't match, you could just as well
>> have said much the same thing about Oded's proposed change; I don't
>> see how there's any point to making that sort of comment, since
>> obviously a change is what's being suggested in the first place.
>
> If you read carefully my previous patch attempts you will discover
> that i did found out later that the solution Oded  proposed wasnt a
> complete fix, thats why i ended up mixing his solution with the force
> -0 one.

Yes, I know, that's unrelated. My point is that you could equally well
have said "MEncoder in its current state can't figure out what setting
you should use on your blender for tonight's dinner", or something
equally silly; the fact that the program can't currently do one thing is
of no more significance than the fact that it can't currently do any
other given thing. It can just as well be changed to do the one as to do
the other (in theory, although some things would be ridiculous); saying
that it currently can't seems entirely pointless.

But all this is moot anyway.

>>> Thanks, if youre going to do that, please grab and apply my patch
>>> and post the full one ;) I guess we have some time.
>>
>> Will do - probably this afternoon, since I just woke up and haven't
>> eaten yet.
>
> thanks.

Done (somewhat awkwardly, but good enough at least to go on with). If no
one speaks up to indicate opposition to the current form of the patch,
I'll commit it along with the minor man page update before I leave for
work this evening.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.