[MPlayer-dev-eng] [SURVEY] change mencoder's default ofilename extension?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Dec 14 18:35:45 CET 2005

Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 12:29:02AM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet wrote:

>>> Ok, how about this:
>>>
>>> Mencoder in its _current_ state cant properly guess* output file
>>> extension, so, it should not try to => force -o
>>
>> I don't see why it can't - or, rather, why it can't easily be made
>> to. Could you enlighten me?
>
> Sure i can, leave out -o and use whatever muxer you like, see what
> the outpput filename is after that. Fact is, mencoder CANT guess
> properly because for the various muxer combinations he has just one
> answer: test.avi
>
> I know you knew that.
>
> Could someone implement some logic on mencoder to use an apropiate
> default filename extension for the muxer been used?
>
> sure.

Okay. I misinterpreted you, because I thought that this was obvious from
zero - since we're talking about changing behaviour anyway, I was
proposing writing code specifically to do that, much as code has been
written to check extensions and issue a warning in the case of a few
mismatches.

> Did someone?
>
> no.
>
> Will someone?
>
> hard to know.

I just may give it a shot, although from what I can see the odds of such
a patch being accepted (-> "I could commit it without immediate reversal
and metric assloads of cola") are not good.

> =>
>
> "Mencoder in its _current_ state cant properly guess* output file
> extension"

The thing is that, since MEncoder in its current state can't issue a
warning when the extension doesn't match, you could just as well have
said much the same thing about Oded's proposed change; I don't see how
there's any point to making that sort of comment, since obviously a
change is what's being suggested in the first place.

(Random question: why the asterisk after "guess" in both occurrences of
that sentence?)

>>> Pick the former, is enough IMHO.
>>
>> Acknowledged. I'll get to that as soon as I have the time when I'm
>> sure I'm not going to mess it up from subliminal tiredness.
>
> Thanks, if youre going to do that, please grab and apply my patch and
>  post the full one ;) I guess we have some time.

Will do - probably this afternoon, since I just woke up and haven't
eaten yet.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.