[MPlayer-dev-eng] Can mplayer output MPEG2 422/444 YUV data?

Ivan Kalvachev ivan at cacad.com
Wed Sep 22 13:01:47 CEST 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:00:30 +0800
"Jason Geng" <jason.geng at hhcn.com> wrote:

> I think this list is more appropriate. I know mplayer's usage, but this question is more related to source code implementation. I have checked the query_format function of vo_xxx.c and found few of them accept YUV422(Y422 in FOURCC) format. Also I greped 422 and 444 in libmpeg2 directory and found few clues(Now I have found CVS version has some update about this).
>
> If mplayer really support mpeg2 YUV 422/444, it should use full color data in vd and vo stage. Now it seems at least most(if not all) vo_xxx does not support it. And for vd, I am now doing the test.
>
> >On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:15:52 +0800, Jason Geng <jason.geng at hhcn.com> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I have seen in the mplayer homepage that it has "MPEG2 chroma422/444 support". But
> >> I can't find the related code in libmpeg2 or libffmpeg. My version is 1.0Pre5. Can
> >> anyone tell me if mplayer really can output 422/444 YUV data? Thank you very much.

MPlayer 1.0pre5 have MPEG2 chroma422/444 decoding support via -vc ffmpeg12 codec.
Such support trough libmpeg2 was added in the cvs with the upgrade to 0.4.0 version.
The output formats are planar YUV422 and YUV444 (ignore CbCr notation).
The vo_xv.c will query the formats from XVideo and if the above one are available will use them.
Unfortunatly I still haven't seen such video card (at least under linux), so more probable is
the automatically inserted -vf scaler to try to convert from planar format to some other that is supported.
YUV422 could be displayer as packed YUY2 or UYUV that are available on most video cards
(Including S3 Virge DX). About YUV444, I have no idea. If you want to see it's full sampling
size you may need to convert it to RGB.

> >This is not the right list to ask this question. It belongs to
> >mplayer-users. MPlayer can output in large veriaty of formats,
> >including 422 and 444 YUV data, in various file formats. Have a look
> >at the VO documentation for additional details.

Your question still sound like user question ;)

Wish You Best
   Ivan Kalvachev
iive