[MPlayer-dev-eng] Mplayer & directfb

Jiri Svoboda jiri.svoboda at seznam.cz
Tue May 18 12:22:08 CEST 2004

Hi,

> actually i don't want to hack the mplayer code. and if
> possible i want to
> use first choice that you gave me. :)

I suggest You the second for performance reasons. There is no big change in
mplayer and I can do it for You.
But if You start with first one You can always easily switch to second. With
no big effort (Just adding and removing one switch and one rectangle fill).

> you said to first choice to may be slow.
> actually i want to write a mplayer GUI front end console, but it is a
> fullscreen console.(i don't want to use any libraries of X)
> and it always
> run. i'll write to some menus to open movies and all other
> things. (it will
> be a player machine only)
>
> and for first choice, do i need to --enable-multi for
> directfb?. because
> mplayer will write to directfb and my program will be write
> to directfb too.

Yes - definitely.

> my code creates a layer. and runs the mplayer as slave with -vo
> directfb:$layernumber$.. right?

No Your program will not create any layer (layers are hw dependant). You can
only choose the layer. This can be done by using primary-layer switch. Then
You normally create Your front-end, but Your front-end will use overlay as a
primary layer.
Then You will run mplayer in slave mode with -vo directfb:layer=XXX where
XXX will be 0 in most cases.

This configuration will cause to display front-end over the movie. Overlay
is "over" layer 0.

When You decide to switch to the second way. You will put away primary layer
switch. Then front-end will become under movie (e.g. is invisible). So color
keying comes in.
If You enable destination color keying for overlay, the overlay will be
shown only in places filled with key color on primary layer (the layer your
front-end will be). SO you have to fill places around your gui.

If I may suggest You use dfb windows for your gui. This way You can get
translucency and over effect at nearly no cost.
Another recommendation is to read directfb lists. Some of those issues were
already discussed...

					JS