[MPlayer-dev-eng] cvs-howto.txt

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Aug 2 04:09:39 CEST 2004

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 11:23:21AM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> >One can never overtest things. Changes should be always tested as much
> >as possible to cover all possible bugs one can think off. Changing stuff
> >with the attitude of "if it breaks something, someone will complain"
> >isnt exactly what we want.
>
> Given the amount of reaction I get when I say: "Could somebody please
> test", which is none at all, compared to the one I get when I simply
> apply...
> I have to say you're right that the attitude isn't what we want but
> sometimes it's hard to do it differently, especially if you don't have
> the hardware for which the fix is.

Yes, we have to admit that most devels either dont care or dont have the
time/hw/whatever to test. Actualy the lack of manpower is currently the
biggest problem of mplayer.

> >>   * If you find changes within a diff block that you don't want to commit
> >>     you can delete them if they are the only changes ranging from the
> >>     @@ -x,y +x,y @@ until the line before the next @@ -x,y +x,y @@. You
> >>     _cannot_ remove single lines after a @@ -x,y +x,y @@ because that
> >>     will
> >>     break the patch!.
> >
> >You can, you just have to adjust the numbers (yes, i do that quite
> >often)
>
> Well, you can add any explanation then ;-). I did it once but decided it
> is easier to edit the source file...

It's pretty easy, the numbers specify where in the original file the
changes startes, where in the modified file, then how many files were
added, how many removed. You just need to figure out which are which (i
dont know it off my head myself :) and change them accordingly.
But i have to admit i only do simple changes this way. Anything that is
more than just a few lines is done in the source files directly.

> >>   cvs -z3 diff -u <filename> > <filename.d>
> >
> >a `cvs diff -u .` in main/ should be performed instead so any
> >unintentional change is also captured.
> >btw: cvs diff -u |less works too
>
> cvs diff -u . isn't exactly neccessary if you do only cvs ci <filename>.

yes, but you should catch those changes anyways. It's a common source
of mistakes for beginners.

			Attila Kinali