[MPlayer-dev-eng] cvs-howto.txt

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Mon Aug 2 19:09:51 CEST 2004

Am Sonntag, 1. August 2004 04:15 schrieb Attila Kinali:
> >2. When you are satisfied with the changes in "main.dev" and think you are
> >   ready to commit the changes to CVS start by doing the following in the
> >   "~/mplayer" dir":
> >   diff -Nur -x "CVS" -x ".*" main main.dev > dev2stable
> >   dev2stable is the filename for the patchfile, it doesn't matter what
> > you call it.
>
> Oh.. this is not right!
> Diffs should be made against the version of which was used as a start
> point. main and main.dev are not necessarily updated at the same time.
> What i generealy do when working on the code is to copy the mplayer tree
> to main.orig and main.working, then change main.working, do a diff
> against main.orig. I use here a different directory then main because i
> want to be able to update main while i work on somehting.

Well, I would suggest using "cvs up; cvs diff -u" in the main.dev instead when
you have persistent net access.

> >3. Now comes one of the tricky parts, editing the patch. I prefer using
> Diffing against a tree that is not exactly the same as you started with
> is a bad thing [tm].
> The possibility of overlooking a change made by someone else and thus
> accidentialy reverting it again is just to high.

Agree, you should not need to edit a patch afterwards, because side effects
_could_ make a working patch not working in cvs.

I also agree with the other parts, Attilla wrote.

> >     cvs -z3 commit -m "<comment (changes)>" <filename>
> >     cvs -z3 commit <filename>
>
> Again i think that -m should not be mentioned (see above)

Hm, first I was against that, but the more I think about it: I think someone
having CVS Write Access to MPlayer should be able to use on of those text
editors (vi, joe, emacs, ...) and know how to set it ($EDITOR).

cu

Fabian