[MPlayer-dev-eng] YUV support in vo_quartz, status update

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Apr 25 21:24:25 CEST 2004

On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 08:03:34PM +0200, Romain Dolbeau wrote:
> D Richard Felker III wrote:
> >I disagree. The stuff you want to do with a computer just comes out
> >_wrong_ on a mac, at least as far as video is concerned. The software
> >I tried (iDVD and Final Cut Pro) didn't give any options about how to
> >encode the video; they just used some sort of builtin profile that
> >gave horrible quality.
>
> But then, maybe you're a _video_ geek. Someone who actually
> knows the meaning of acronyms like qpel, mc, yuv and others,
> and on top of that knows how to takes advantage of that
> knowledge.

That's one thing, but iDVD doesn't even let you pick _bitrate_!! If
your movie is > 60 minutes (even just 61 minutes) it forces you to use
a "90 minute" profile which is low bitrate and horrible quality. This
is beyond stupid. (Of course, at the same bitrate lavc's mpeg2 encoder
would give great quality but Apple's is a joke...)

Also, another piece of brain damage, the software kept trying to
"convert" my PAL content to NTSC at every step of the process. I had
to keep reloading and reconfiguring the software before opening my
source DV to get it to leave it alone!

> Most people who use iDVD or even Final Cup Pro don't, they
> only want to shoot/edit/re-shoot/re-edit/compress/burn/show
> to people. Squeezing the last bit out of a file format isn't
> very high on their todo list :-)

Getting something that looks better than VHS rather than worse is
probably on their todo list if they're using DVD...

> Personally, I don't believe anymore in the one-fit-all OS.
> _no_ OS can appeal to both computer geek and computer
> illiterate, be able to do everything yet run on a 16 Mhz 68030,
> be free and pay the salaries of developers (yes, this one is a
> troll :-), and so on. It's like cars, people and requirements
> are just too different.
>
> OTOH, I do believe in the one-fit-none OS. You can guess the
> name and the company behind it, I suppose :-)

ROTFL...MacOSX is just as bad tho...

Rich