[MPlayer-dev-eng] YUV support in vo_quartz, status update

Romain Dolbeau dolbeau at irisa.fr
Sun Apr 25 20:03:34 CEST 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> I disagree. The stuff you want to do with a computer just comes out
> _wrong_ on a mac, at least as far as video is concerned. The software
> I tried (iDVD and Final Cut Pro) didn't give any options about how to
> encode the video; they just used some sort of builtin profile that
> gave horrible quality.

But then, maybe you're a _video_ geek. Someone who actually
knows the meaning of acronyms like qpel, mc, yuv and others,
and on top of that knows how to takes advantage of that
knowledge.

Most people who use iDVD or even Final Cup Pro don't, they
only want to shoot/edit/re-shoot/re-edit/compress/burn/show
to people. Squeezing the last bit out of a file format isn't
very high on their todo list :-)

Personally, I don't believe anymore in the one-fit-all OS.
_no_ OS can appeal to both computer geek and computer
illiterate, be able to do everything yet run on a 16 Mhz 68030,
be free and pay the salaries of developers (yes, this one is a
troll :-), and so on. It's like cars, people and requirements
are just too different.

OTOH, I do believe in the one-fit-none OS. You can guess the
name and the company behind it, I suppose :-)

--
Romain Dolbeau