[MPlayer-dev-eng] README

Alex Beregszaszi alex at naxine.org
Sat Mar 15 18:29:16 CET 2003

Hi,

> I'm in the process of revising the README, it's been a while since the
> last update.  The Win32 codecs section will be changed into a more
> general codecs section, since the main use for Win32 codecs (WMV8 and
> WMA audio) is now covered by libavcodec.  So I'll describe installing
> QT, Real and DMO codecs instead.
wmv8/wmv9/wma9 are not supported by lavc yet
indeo stuff isn't supported too (xanim || win32dlls)

> My first question is: Are Win32 codecs still necessary for a default
> install?  I'm under the impression they are only necessary to play the
> more obscure formats.  So what should be the general recommendation
> nowadays?  QT, Real and DMO or Win32lite instead of DMO?
win32lite contains all the dlls (except qt & real) which are needed to
decode the formats not supported by libavcodec & the nativ mplayer
codecs

--
Alex Beregszaszi <alex at naxine.org>
(MPlayer Core Developer -- http://www.mplayerhq.hu/)