[MPlayer-dev-eng] README

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Mar 12 04:35:03 CET 2003

Hi!

I'm in the process of revising the README, it's been a while since the
last update.  The Win32 codecs section will be changed into a more
general codecs section, since the main use for Win32 codecs (WMV8 and
WMA audio) is now covered by libavcodec.  So I'll describe installing
QT, Real and DMO codecs instead.

My first question is: Are Win32 codecs still necessary for a default
install?  I'm under the impression they are only necessary to play the
more obscure formats.  So what should be the general recommendation
nowadays?  QT, Real and DMO or Win32lite instead of DMO?

The second question: What are your experiences with lavc + WMV movies?
I just have one sample stored here, win32 uses 18% processor, lavc
12%, which is extremely nice (compliments to the lavc crew), but is it
stable enough to go ahead and prefer lavc over the Win32 WMV codecs in
codecs.conf?

Diego