[MPlayer-dev-eng] README

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Sat Mar 15 19:10:59 CET 2003

Alex Beregszaszi writes:
 > > I'm in the process of revising the README, it's been a while since the
 > > last update.  The Win32 codecs section will be changed into a more
 > > general codecs section, since the main use for Win32 codecs (WMV8 and
 > > WMA audio) is now covered by libavcodec.  So I'll describe installing
 > > QT, Real and DMO codecs instead.
 > wmv8/wmv9/wma9 are not supported by lavc yet

wmv8 yes, as Michael already said.

 > indeo stuff isn't supported too (xanim || win32dlls)

OK

 > > My first question is: Are Win32 codecs still necessary for a default
 > > install?  I'm under the impression they are only necessary to play the
 > > more obscure formats.  So what should be the general recommendation
 > > nowadays?  QT, Real and DMO or Win32lite instead of DMO?
 > win32lite contains all the dlls (except qt & real) which are needed to
 > decode the formats not supported by libavcodec & the nativ mplayer
 > codecs

Yes, I like that package.  Why not make one big w32lite (Win32) + QT +
Real + XANIM + MJPEG tarball for ease of use?  That way we can say
"Download this big one size fits all package or choose the codecs you
need from the following list..".

This also applies to the whole program.  A big tarball with MPlayer +
font + codecs or MPlayer + skin + font + codecs would be welcome for
users and would make installation a lot easier.

Diego