[MPlayer-dev-eng] Danish localisation (was: Near a release (patches, call for translations))

Dan Christiansen danchr at daimi.au.dk
Thu Jun 5 14:36:50 CEST 2003

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Dan Christiansen writes:
>  > Inspired by this thread, I took a look at the Danish translation. I
>
> Inspired developers, wonderful :-)
>
>  > found a lot of English transliterations into words that don't exist in
>  > Danish ("codec" being one, "enkoder" another), bad grammar here and
>
> [...]
>
>  > Of course, if you disagree with my changes, feel free to ignore them.
>
> You are the Danish translator, you're the boss unless another Danish
> speaker has objections
>
> I have one objection, though: You changed Lyd-codec back to Lyd-Codec,
> which was the reason I rejected your last patch ;-)

me (Dan) != Anders

Anders sent the first and second patch and he's the translator ;)
He had some minor comments to this one with which I agree.

About that part: I'd say "lyd-codec", if those words were used, should
be "lydcodec", but even better would be "lydformat". Anyway, Danish
capitalisation is like UK English; only the first letter of the first
word should be capital.

> No, seriously if you prefer Lyd-Codec, by all means change it.  Just
> make sure you use it consistently.

As I explained to Anders - in Danish, though - that was because I wrote
it before the update. I have only done half so far since I didn't want
to do the rest unless I was fairly certain it would be used.

> Another thing: You seem to have translated codec by formater, which is
> probably the same as (German and English) format.  Please be aware
> that we make a difference between (container-)formats like avi and mov
> and (video and audio) codecs.  A container format like mov might come
> with SVQ1 video and QDM audio, while another might contain SVQ3 video
> and AAC audio.  If you are aware of the difference and convinced the
> new translation is better, then I will guide myself by your word.

I agree that this is suboptimal, but the problem is that "codec" is a
very technical term, and I know of no Danish equivalents. So instead
there are filformater/file formats (BTW, "fil" is an IMO horrible
translation common on Windows and other systems - but accepted now),
videoformater/video formats and lydformater/audio formats. I'm not at
home right now, so I'll check for consitency when I do the rest.

Danish is a rather weird language in the sence that we can combine
almost any two words to create a new, but there aren't as many "base
words" as in English. *Especially* not within the computer realm.

> Shall I commit the patch as-is, without the Lyd-Codec change or do you
> want to come up with another one?

I'll do the second half too, and if it's ok with Anders, you could
commit it then.