[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [patch] improve dxr3 tv norm switching

Thomas Jarosch tomj at simonv.com
Thu Jan 2 21:16:58 CET 2003

woops, I just saw my first reply got to the wrong list.
Here for the completness. Sorry.

Subject: Re: [patch] improve dxr3 tv norm switching
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 20:31:55 +0100
From: Thomas Jarosch <tomj at simonv.com>
To: dxr3-devel at lists.sourceforge.net

David,

> Why do you add so many #ifdefs? They are only needed if you have to check
> for some mplayer feature to be enabled (such as X11) or to be compatible
> with an older version of em8300 (like 0.12.0). All these new ifdefs just
> waste space and makes no sense.

Well, they check for em8300 features (don't know what's in 0.12.0),
but I just copied them above/below other code I've seen in the module.
I'd like to see most of the #ifdefs removed if you agree.

> Why did you remove all the '.' from the output? A sentence is generally
> started by a capitalized letter and ended with a '.'.

Because there is way more output without a "." than with a ".".
Though we could fix it the other way around,
I just wanted to have the same output style.

> Why did you remove the initialization values to some of the declared
> variables? I personally don't like having uninitialized variables floating
> around.

Jens Axboe did this one, but I don't know why he shouldn't as these
are just variables for temporary storage.

btw: Is "prev_pts" really needed?
     I just saw it used in one line.

> I have commited the code that resets the tv norm. I also removed some of
> the senseless ifdefs from the previous norm patch.
> Most of the textual changes don't make sense to me, why remove the trailing
> '.'?

s.a.

Thomas