[MPlayer-dev-eng] authors html->txt

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Sun Sep 8 17:46:25 CEST 2002

Arpi writes:

 > I'm thinking about moving some part of the html doc out, and place as
 > plaintext in ./AUTHORS and some to DOCS/tech/ like maintainers section

I'm currently in favor of everything that reduces the docs in size ;-)

Do you mean AUTHORS or DOCS/AUTHORS?

Another idea: How about splitting the README into README and INSTALL?

 > it has no much sense to 'translate' and sync these, nor to have them indexed
 > by web search engines especially the spam bots

Yes, spam is a problem and translations of these appendices are
optional.

 > what do you think?

If somebody is willing to do that, why not.  Maintainers section
probably more than Authors.  But I must admit I do not have strong
feelings either way.  Since everybody else seems to be in favor, I
will not oppose this.

 > maybe even the skin-making howto could be moved to tech/
 > no much sense of having it translated.

I have mixed feelings about this one.  You do not have to be a hacker
to make a skin.  Several of the contributed skins come from people who
have probably no programming skills at all.  You just need a little
bit of artistic skill and gimp proficiency.  I think it is somewhere
in between the normal docs and the tech section.  It might however be
interesting to people who will never touch the tech section, so I vote
for leaving it where it is.

The document is quite nice, btw.  It is well structured and uses
colors, boxes and tables in a way that will not be easy to reproduce
in plaintext format.

Diego