[MPlayer-dev-eng] Slave mode

Alex Beregszaszi alex at galaktik.hu
Sat Sep 7 23:28:58 CEST 2002

Hi,

I'm going to start a project named WebMPlayer. A netscape/mozilla plugin frontend for MPlayer.
For that prupose thought about a fully new structure of slave-mode.

My idea is to change slave-mode to more interactive.

1, you start mplayer as: mplayer -slave (no other parameters needed!)
2, in slave mode you can specify everything

Slave-mode commands needed by my project:

 vo_wid (or set_wid, etc) - setting window id
 set_vo - set video out driver
 open (or loadfile/loadlocation) - open specified file,playlist or stream (having more commands
  for that prupose, like now is a bit annoying)
 play
 pause
 stop
 quit
 save - save stream instead playback

Note: mplayer shouldn't start playback before the 'play' command.

Also I would change the messaging part of the slave-mode too:
no 'current-style' messages should be sent to the client, instead:
 > prefix for 'current-style' messages
 ! prefix for slave-mode replies (for example: simple error messages)
The ground for that is the frontend shouldn't grep for known messages, it should know the type
from the prefix (also !-messages should be immediatly reported to the user)

Dunno yet how it can be done.

Any objections?

(P.S.: the second part is more required)

--
Alex Beregszaszi  <alex at naxine.org>