[MPlayer-dev-eng] Slave mode

j.a.l j.a.l at free.fr
Mon Sep 9 04:53:13 CEST 2002

Alex Beregszaszi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to start a project named WebMPlayer. A netscape/mozilla plugin frontend for MPlayer.
> For that prupose thought about a fully new structure of slave-mode.
>
> My idea is to change slave-mode to more interactive.
>
> 1, you start mplayer as: mplayer -slave (no other parameters needed!)
> 2, in slave mode you can specify everything
>
> Slave-mode commands needed by my project:
>
>  vo_wid (or set_wid, etc) - setting window id
>  set_vo - set video out driver
>  open (or loadfile/loadlocation) - open specified file,playlist or stream (having more commands
>   for that prupose, like now is a bit annoying)
>  play
>  pause
>  stop
>  quit
>  save - save stream instead playback
>
> Note: mplayer shouldn't start playback before the 'play' command.
>
> Also I would change the messaging part of the slave-mode too:
> no 'current-style' messages should be sent to the client, instead:
>  > prefix for 'current-style' messages
>  ! prefix for slave-mode replies (for example: simple error messages)
> The ground for that is the frontend shouldn't grep for known messages, it should know the type
> from the prefix (also !-messages should be immediatly reported to the user)
>
> Dunno yet how it can be done.
>
> Any objections?
>
> (P.S.: the second part is more required)

There several mplayer frontend in devel - at least one for kde and mine
for gtk2 (namp) - and i do not understand why you need a new slave mode.
even i send some reply, it's for extend. The current slave mode can do
most of what you're requesting, it fit for us, so, for a plugin it must
do !!!.
Perhaps you may do some checkss / testss before ( what  we did ).... and
read arch ( guess you will request a percent of movie ).

P.S. perhaps time - on mplayer web - for a "frontend page" ( with hacker
  mail ) ??? we could told frontend first before borring the list.