[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: mplayer fails to play avi-file

Andriy N. Gritsenko andrej at lucky.net
Wed Oct 16 13:33:07 CEST 2002

    Hi, Arpi!

Sometime (on Wednesday, October 16 at 13:42) I've received something...
>> I'm sorry but I agree, it's only MPlayer bug. Any of Window$ players
>it is not mplayer bug. maybe call it limitation.
>imho all win32 players, and also xine too are multithreaded and has
>independent thread for audio and video, with own cache (or file opened
>twice instead of seeking).

I think it's good to make MPlayer file reader/cache be multithreaded.

>> plays these files ok (from very slow CD-ROMs such as old Mitsumi 4x
>> also). Bad thing is that some of such files are coming with CD-ROM disks
>> already. Well, I know, these days CD-R disks are cheap and I can reencode
>> these files and throw out CD-ROM disk with original ones. But anyway to
>> throw out disk with reason MPlayer cannot play it properly isn't good,
>> isn't it? It's only software problem, unfortunately...
>so go and implement per-stream cache for mplayer.
>as it's required only for playing very broken avi files from cdrom, i
>don't bother implementing that.

May be, I will. :)  Anyway I've planned to do anything with caching for
these files since many of anime encoders use it. I agree non-interlaced
avi is noncense but anyway why don't let MPlayer to work with it? BTW,
if caching is on then these files are playing too slow even on HDD with
7200rpm and UDMA. :(  Unfortunately, I haven't enough time but I'm not
sure if it will be so forever. ;)

    With best wishes.
    Andriy.