[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: mplayer fails to play avi-file

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Oct 16 14:10:27 CEST 2002

Hi,

> Sometime (on Wednesday, October 16 at 13:42) I've received something...
> >> I'm sorry but I agree, it's only MPlayer bug. Any of Window$ players
> >it is not mplayer bug. maybe call it limitation.
> >imho all win32 players, and also xine too are multithreaded and has
> >independent thread for audio and video, with own cache (or file opened
> >twice instead of seeking).
>
> I think it's good to make MPlayer file reader/cache be multithreaded.

I don't think

> >> plays these files ok (from very slow CD-ROMs such as old Mitsumi 4x
> >> also). Bad thing is that some of such files are coming with CD-ROM disks
> >> already. Well, I know, these days CD-R disks are cheap and I can reencode
> >> these files and throw out CD-ROM disk with original ones. But anyway to
> >> throw out disk with reason MPlayer cannot play it properly isn't good,
> >> isn't it? It's only software problem, unfortunately...
> >so go and implement per-stream cache for mplayer.
> >as it's required only for playing very broken avi files from cdrom, i
> >don't bother implementing that.
>
> May be, I will. :)  Anyway I've planned to do anything with caching for
> these files since many of anime encoders use it. I agree non-interlaced

it's non-_INTERLEAVED_. interlace is something very different thing.

> avi is noncense but anyway why don't let MPlayer to work with it? BTW,
> if caching is on then these files are playing too slow even on HDD with
> 7200rpm and UDMA. :(  Unfortunately, I haven't enough time but I'm not
> sure if it will be so forever. ;)

known, see FAQ
cache is flushed at seeking...

the only clean way to solve it is opening the stream twice, and use one for
audio one for video reading. but it's also difficult to implemen, including
runtime -ni detection etc.
maybe we should add something like dup_stream() which also duplicate cache
too.

but it's allo very very low priority...
if you want to play such mess, copy first to hdd.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team