[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: mplayer fails to play avi-file

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Oct 16 13:10:20 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > > 2. NI avi will NEVER work from slow-seekable media like network or cdrom
>
> I'm sorry but I agree, it's only MPlayer bug. Any of Window$ players

it is not mplayer bug. maybe call it limitation.
imho all win32 players, and also xine too are multithreaded and has
independent thread for audio and video, with own cache (or file opened
twice instead of seeking).

> plays these files ok (from very slow CD-ROMs such as old Mitsumi 4x
> also). Bad thing is that some of such files are coming with CD-ROM disks
> already. Well, I know, these days CD-R disks are cheap and I can reencode
> these files and throw out CD-ROM disk with original ones. But anyway to
> throw out disk with reason MPlayer cannot play it properly isn't good,
> isn't it? It's only software problem, unfortunately...

so go and implement per-stream cache for mplayer.
as it's required only for playing very broken avi files from cdrom, i
don't bother implementing that.

or just don't use mplayer, it's simpler.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team