[MPlayer-dev-eng] help output wording

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Oct 6 19:50:03 CEST 2002

Hi,

> -vcd <trackno>  play VCD (Video CD) track from device instead of plain file
> -dvd <titleno>  play DVD title from device instead of plain file
>
> I'm not really content with the wording as it is.  The point is that
> VCDs/DVDs need not be mounted, mplayer is not playing a mounted file but
> accessing the raw device directly.  I have some alternative suggestions:
>
> -dvd <titleno>  directly play DVD title
> -dvd <titleno>  directly play DVD title from device
> -dvd <titleno>  directly play DVD title from raw (not mounted) device
>
> The first is probably an oversimplification, I like the third best.  VCD

the 3rd is false. on some platforms you can only play mounted disc. on
linux, you can play both mounted (using filesystem access, user priv. is
enough for this) or raw device (user needs rw right for /dev/dvd).
also, you can copy disc conrtent to hdd and play from the dir.

this is all for dvd only, vcd never needs mounting and never work with
mounted/copied content.

> would be analogous of course.  Any better ideas?
not yet
but don't change, until we agree on sth

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team